Saturday 12 March 2011

UNI' UCAS PROCESS CONCLUSION

OK. I finally get to reveal the uni's I applied to.

CENTRAL SAINT MARTINS- gamble
KINGSTON UNIVERSITY- 1st choice but maybe I was riding on the reputation then the actual course
MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY- wouldn't mind but haven't visited before
LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART- I actually really like the course, the tutor was enthusiastic and he told us the course would be 'hard core' which I liked
NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY-  very good rep' and I really like Newcastle

NOTE I applied to all of them with intention of going (if I did get an offer) none of them were 'safe' options.

I've heard back and sent e-portfolio's to all of them apart from C.S.M (I lost all hope after Kingston anyway, maybe I'll move to London after I graduate). 
Had a interview at Kingston (interview 1) and got rejected due to "unsuitable portfolio."
Interview 2 was Northumbria, they offered me a conditional place and it's now my firm choice.
I was meant to have an interview on the 7/04/11 with L.C.A, but its been weighing on my mind that I would most likely choose Northumbria even if they offered me a place.

Overall this uni process has been an eye opener on how to present myself, explaining my work and realising your weak points. Granted I've only been to two but I learnt so much from my Kingston one. And that you have to move on! I don't really deal with emotions too well, well depends on circumstances and what not, but I really didn't deal well with getting rejected. My self confidence regarding to the work I produce is quite low anyway (I know it's not shit but I don't think its good. I'm NOT an attention seeker btw). So with the mix-up of being told your work is 'good' and getting rejected I felt like a failure. I mean it could be other factors of course but yeah I'm learning to not base one rejection as the end of my graphic designer life.

IN SHORT I'VE WITHDRAWN ALL MY APPLICATIONS AND FIRMED NORTHUMBRIA. PHEW.

So fingers cross I pass F.A.D, so that L.F will be relocating to NEWCASTLE in September. Huzzah. I mean I don't hate Leeds and I'm certainly  not sick of where I am. But I want a change. I think the only negatives will be losing my jobs which will be mega sad because I have a separate Thai family at work lol.

But yeah no going back. I've updated my UCAS and Northumbria is my only choice.  And I'll leave you with an interesting fact......... my sister will graduate from Northumbria this year, she does product design.

2 comments:

kat said...

Hi LF! I was just looking through your make up blog, i like your work!
I am at lca too.
Congrats on your Northumbria choice! I am from newcastle and it is a wonderful city.

Kat xo

L.F said...

Awh thanks Kat! I've left a comment on your webby, speak soon :)